Monday, March 15, 2010

Protests in Thailand

For my entire life I have dreamed of going to Thailand. My parents met in Thailand, my house has always been full of south east asian artwork and since freshman year my roommate and I have planned on spending the summer after our senior year traveling through Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.

Hopefully the fact that a separatists group is once again trying to overthrow the current government will not interrupt my flight which leaves June 4th.

Over 125,000 protestors gathered in Bangkok this Sunday and shut down parts of the capital again Monday, in an attempt to force out Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. It is important to note that Vejjajiva came into power after the military coup that ousted former Prim Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. They claim that the economic gap that exists between the urban elite and the rural farmers has only grown since the new administration took power.

The protestors known as redshirts have not exhibited any violence as of yet but let's hope things do not turn towards another military coup or else my summer plans may be seriously hurt.

1 comment: